Monday 13 June 2016

The M.O.M. Guide to Anxiety

''Having anxiety makes me scared of doing many normal things. I guess everyone has anxiety to some degree (like exam anxiety) but I feel like mine's a bit extreme as I'm scared of so many different things. Even though I push myself because I have kids who rely on me doesn't make certain things any easier.'' Anonymous - M.O.M. 


A Few Examples From M.O.M. Personal Experience

The simple task of just putting out the bins makes me worry - if something is going to that happen like someone coming up behind me and hurting me. 

Having the windows open when I'm not in the room makes me think there's someone in that room. I can't put on the heater when it starts just in case someone is lurking outside and I cannot hear them. 

I can't go to sleep with the windows open just in case someone comes in through them.

Being in the kitchen at night makes me feel as though I am being watched, I have to close the curtains or switch the lights off so that I can see outside into the garden - there is always that small fear that someone may be there, watching me.

If I forgot to lock the door I imagine burglars waltzing in and stealing all my stuff; leaving the house empty and desolate.

There's a running theme here: Security at Home. Most of the anxiety we experience is at home, though this is somewhat odd as many people find that being in public can be daunting and planning trips out only increases their anxiety. Our is the total opposite - staying in feels like a punishment, as though we are confined to the four walls of our houses. Getting outside even just for a 15 minute walk can give us a great boost.

If you're an outdoor person, you may be able to understand the restriction experienced for some people when they stay inside too much. You do need to allow about half an hour's extra time for preparing to leave the house with kids in tow, but it doesn't mean that getting out and about every day has to become impossible.


Dealing With Anxiety


5 Things You Can Try

  1. Talking Therapy - CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)
  2. Hypnotism
  3. Being Mindful
  4. Meditation and Yoga
  5. Keeping an anxiety diary

Getting to Grips with New Techniques 
  1.  CBT: Involves talking to a therapist and keeping track of negative and anxious thoughts. They may ask you to keep record of them and try to notice any patterns to your thoughts. After a few weeks of this, you will most likely be encouraged to challenge your anxious thoughts, noting what a friend or relative would advise in your scenario.
  2. Hypnotism: This can penetrate your subconscious and change attitudes and learnt behaviours. It can be expensive, so save or look around for any cheaper options. 
  3. Being Mindful: This means focusing on the present moment, without judgement or negativity. You can find your mind wandering and bring yourself back to the now by counting 10 colours in the room or area you are in.
  4. Meditation and Yoga: You can buy relaxing CDs and practice on home, or look up strategies on the net. Youtube can be helpful for tutorials.
  5. Anxiety Diary: This needs to be done daily to be effective. Works like the homework for CBT.
How to Keep it Up
You can set a day once a week  on which you review your progress - are you less worried and anxious than before you started treatment? If you find it difficult to remember to do these exercises/ practices, you can use different techniques, such as  carrying a precious stone, approximately the size of your palm (known as a palm stone) in your pocket, and using it as an object to focus on when you are getting anxious  

You can try calming techniques such as counting to 10 or focusing on a mental image which brings you happiness, such as a flower, garden or beach scene. 

No comments:

Post a Comment