Tuesday 21 June 2016

Parenting: I would Happily Swap Roles With You

The other day, we came across a sales assistant in Cambridge who stated "Wouldn't it be great if the men could stay at home and the women work!" The thing is, we can! It is sad that society still views the woman in the relationship as the home-maker and child-carer. Although a mother's bond with  her children is unique, so is a father's. Whilst men are happy to achieve equal rights to mothers in the courtroom, at home the same old story is playing out, with the same archaic logic.

Women are suited to the home life. Why should they want anything more? They've got it easy, right? I would love to stay at home all day - say men. The great thing is - they CAN! But the choice is not not, that is their choice and it may be justified, though it is not a reason to belittle women who want to start or go back to work. We have our own lives outside of the home and there is nothing wrong with being ambitious, and remaining so after having a child.

To the guy who thinks that he has it hard I would just like to say to there daddy  I am not your slave. I have just spent my day cleaning the house in order of your potty training daughter to them poop all over my rug after it takes half an hour to clean that up, your son decides to spill his chocolate flavoured sticky milk all over the floor. Thinking the mess is all done. 

What's that saying again? Oh yeah, 'a mothers work is never done'. Both my children think it's completely hilarious to pull the curtains down and break the pole in half. When people say looking after kids is not work you're right, it's 10 times harder. At the end of the day at least you get to go home and relax. I haven't even finish my shift sometimes not until 2 and I still need to wake up at 5. When you turn around and say I do not work,  just remember if you want to swap roles I'm up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment