Sunday 29 May 2016

Jo Frost: The 3 B's (Bath, Book and Bed)

I heard that Jo Frost was trying to tell parents that the three B's will always get your child in bed. I know that she's trained and I know that she's helped a lot of families but when it comes to bedtime routine she doesn't really have to deal with getting kids to bed every night.  I know this method doesn't overly work for my family and this my reasoning behind it.

Let's start with the first one - Bath:
As a Mother that has a child with eczema, having a bath everyday only exacerbates her eczema. I got told by a doctor that bathing you're child too much can lead to flare ups. Having a bath every day will not work for my daughter. And if you have quite a hyperactive child that doesn't work either because they just get really, well, hyper.

The Second Step - Book:
I love the idea of reading a book before bed but for certain children it just wakes them up again. My child won't sit there and listen to me reading a book - not without trying to distract me or telling me he suddenly wants a different book. I guess this could be just my child, but there must be other children like him.

Last But Not Least, The Finale - Bed:

Okay, if the first two don't work how do you do the third!?

I personally think the best way to get my children to sleep is not to do the things that this Nanny has told me works, but things that I have tried with my own children.

After it gets to a certain time - normally about 6 - I start to make it darker around the home, so it mimics the sunset. (Turning off lights, making the TV quieter and switching off music creates a calmer atmosphere.) I do not let my children eat after this time, because I personally believe it keeps them awake. I limit what they're watching if I choose to let them watch TV. I sit down and relax with them and do not rush around.

We all get into our PJs and brush our teeth. Around about 6:30 we will be upstairs, lying on my bed. At about 6:45 I will lay them down in their beds, and sit in their room until I fall asleep. My kids normally fall asleep at 7 o'clock. This method has worked for me for a long time and I recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. I have heard that you can help your child get to sleep by mimicking falling asleep yourself. If reading aloud, try reading more slowly. Start yawning (you know how catching that can be!), and let your eyelids droop and take long blinks. Finally, let your body relax into a sleep posture. You could even try a few quiet snores. The only downside is that if you are an exhausted parent this might send you to sleep before your child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great idea, and I have found personally that it works really well (with the exception of during teething and particularly bad nights). If it's difficult to get her to sleep, I usually lie my daughter next to me in bed and breath evenly on the top of her head. This has worked since she was a newborn. Sometimes I have to sing as well, or rock her until she is snoring. Then she'll be put into her cot. I have to say in regards to your comment - I naturally do all those things in the evening anyway! Thanks for your comment :) xox - Mums Jo Frost: The 3 B's (Bath, Book and Bed)

      Delete