Saturday 28 May 2016

Breast Vs Bottle

Breast Feeding

Pros
  • Great bonding with your child when breastfeeding (skin to skin contact)
  • As it's very intimate this helps bonding also
  • Easy to latch on with practice
  • Can go out with having to make up bottles (one less thing for the changing bag)
  • Never run out off milk
  • 'Breast is Best' the media loves to guilt-trip us into breast feeding as it really can contain more nutrients and is, after all, the most natural way
  • Benefits the body - love hormones and helping recovery of the body after birth (encourages pelvic floor to contract back together we believe)

Cons
  • Hard to weening them off after a year
  • Don't get a break from feeds because babies are held when they are fed 
  • The only release is to pump milk, which can further stimulate milk production
  • Risk of mastitis
  • Feeding is frequent (it is impossible to rest or do household tasks to satisfaction)
  • Not all babies latch well and can be tongue-tied
  • Embarrassment and reluctance to feed in public 
  • Partner may not be supportive/ can spark jealousy as breasts are no longer 'his'

Mums on Mars: Pros & Cons - Breast

Pros
- Unique bond no one else has
- Both baby and mother working together (you both learn the technique together)
- Gives a use to otherwise unused boobs!
- De-sexualises the breast
- Can increase awareness of nature's intended use for breasts - just as other animals feed their young it is natural and normal

Cons
- Painful stomach aches whilst feeding as stomach muscles contract back together (or something like that - everything moves back and this f***ing hurts!) 
- It's hard for anyone else to take over as expressing takes so long and your baby might be apprehensive about others feeding her
- Can be painful at first and takes a lot of practice
- My daughter would not take a bottle
- Not just anyone could take her out with pumped milk as even then she still refused it


Bottle Feeding

Pros
  • Less leakages (breast-wise)
  • Can be bought ready-made in most supermarkets
  • Choice of formula
  • Does not affect the woman's body 
  • Means any required medication can be taken safely by mother
  • Other half can take over feeding duties
  • More freedom as hands free (one-handed technique can be developed!)
  • Can be easier for baby to latch if breast is not accepted 
  • Can still be intimate (holding hand, stroking face and hair)

Cons
  • Constant washing-up and sterilising
  • Anyone can feed - may decrease personal bond or result in others being over-bearing (wanting to take over duties)
  • Fining a balance between partner feeding and mother feeding duties
  • Must remember bottle warmers and other kit for outings
  • More messy - can spill
  • Remembering the correct scoops
  • Water has to be boiled before using for bottles
  • Waiting for milk to warm up/cool down
  • Does not induce the 'love hormone' the same way breast feeding does

Mums On Mars: Pros & Cons - Bottle 
Pros
- My daughter had to have prescribed formula (lactose free) which would mean she might not have got on with breast anyway 
- More independence for baby - eventually can hold bottle on their own
- Easier to maintain eye-contact whilst feeding as baby at different angle compared to on the breast
 
Cons
- Less intimate
- Personally felt others could take over duties a little too much

Mums: I gave up after only a few days (literally). I had shooting pains down my back, my breasts were so ridiculously engorged that I couldn't wear any kind of bra (they could not be contained: I am usually about a 34 DD, this had swollen to well over 36 F). Every time I pumped I sympathised with dairy cows - the sweet relief was intoxicating and yet my attachment to the pump was loathsome.
            However! The incredible rush of love hormones for my child were amazing - not like any other sensation and it appeared as though we were one entity again, as we had been whilst I was pregnant. The bond experienced is out of this world, but for me the pain was not worth it.
            Eventually I was persuaded by my partner's Mum to switch to the bottle. Since doing so, my daughter slept soundly, waking every few hours and her feeds were like clockwork - rest assured at exactly 11pm she would be awake and ready to chow down! 
            I wish that my experience with breast feeding had been a joyous one, but it's not for everyone and I applaud any mother who has persevered with it.

Mars: I think there is never the right thing to do, as long as your child is fed and happy then that's the main thing. I have breastfeed, have gave my child formula. I think I prefer to breastfeed but that's my honest opinion. But trying to get them off is the hardest.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment