Wednesday 9 November 2016

Losing A Pet

Today, I said goodbye to my beloved 7 or 8 year old bunny, Pippin. She was a black dwarf with a white dot on the end of her nose <3 It's horrible knowing that I can't have my animals living with me because of our agreement in our tenancy.

Last night I had a call from my Mum, saying that Pip was taken to the vets with swollen eyes and genitals. They thought it was a virus, but we didn't yet know how severe it was. Unfortunately, I had another call today, when I was told that the virus had been identified as myximatosis, and was systemic. This meant it would be terminal, and there was not much we could do. Apparently the original strain of myxi occurred naturally, but other strains were developed in labs, and used on the rabbit populations in Australia.

Since then the virus has transformed and there are always new strains - although a vaccine protects your rabbit, it is never 100% foolproof. Sadly, insect bites from mosquitoes and fleas can spread the virus, so it is not easy to protect your animal.

Having Her Put Down
As soon as I saw poor Pippin - with her eyes weeping and practically swollen shut - sitting motionless on the vet's table, I knew she had to be put to sleep. Most people say it's not an easy decision, but for me it was the obvious choice - an instant reaction. It isn't easy to watch - I did cry very suddenly- but I think the best thing you can do for your animal is to stay with them as they are losing consciousness. The comfort gained from your presence will ease their passing.

Beware Myxi
As well as vaccinating against myximatosis, if you have a rabbit they will need to be protected from other viruses - check with your vet that your rabbit has all the protection he or she can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment