Saturday 8 October 2016

Is Having Money Everything?

Money is important, however can it really answer everything? Can it make you happy and keep you that way? Having had money issues in the past as well as enjoying the luxuries that come with it, we explore why money is important, how much of it you need to survive and be happy, and when you can have too much.

A friend of my partner's has treated us to takeout and lunch out. £20 is nothing to him, yet to us that is a lot to be spending on a treat. He admitted to us that he is throwing his money around, not knowing what to do with it.

On the other hand, I used to have a very demanding friend, who claimed she couldn't afford to spend more than £10 a month and wouldn't catch a bus with me when I was too tired to walk. It turned out she was more than slightly full of it as the next day she put pictures up of her new tattoo (we are no longer friends needless to say). 

Either way, money can be an issue whether you have too much of it or too little. Seeing these mansions people buy on TV on shows like 'A Place in the Sun' and millionaires who buy diamond  collars for their dogs is insane... Then walking into town I may spot a homeless person with a cardboard sign... I once witnessed countless people walking ignorantly past a man sitting in an entryway on a corner in London. He had no shoes, an overgrown beard and dirty clothes, his toenails were actually black (most likely from the cold). Both extremes are equally shocking.

If you have enough of it, money isn't a worry - you don't have to think about bills, save for Christmas or any other celebration and you can do pretty much any activity you fancy (or travel to any place you fancy).

However, it's not 'all good in the hood' as we like to say... Money can change people - making them become more narcissistic and self-absorbed. 


My Example

So, taking me and my partner as 'examples', I can tell you that we are not terribly short on cash, but neither is it 'growing on trees' for us. After our last spot of bills, my partner told a friend we couldn't go out as we had "money pouring out of our ears". I think it's not so bad though - we  appreciate what we do have, it's rewarding when we have saved and going out somewhere special really is an occasion. We still treat ourselves and our daughter, and want for nothing except maybe some more outings. Saying that though, we probably wouldn't have the time even if we did have the money!

My Parents

They are pretty well off, and as my Dad travels a lot for work usually he will take one of the family with us. We went with him (and my family) to The States to visit family a few months back - it was awesome! At this point, eating fien food (Sainsbury's best!) and flying to hot places - I would say I would definitely enjoy splashing more cash. However, it is generous but annoying when I am offered stuff by my Dad - 'Can I pay for..' 'I'll give you some money' becomes a little irritating, after all I am an adult and would like to be able to say 'No don't worry about it' but more often than not I end up accepting simply because I am short on cash.


Money = Happiness (???)

Does it really though? Yeah, there is limitless amount of things you can buy with it, maybe even friendship - but it never lasts. Your friends will become more demanding and less grateful, your perks will become mundane and every day and you will get bored of splashing it about (like a kid with a water gun!). Eventually, when everything is metaphorically soaked in money, it gets damp and dull. 

What do you think? Can Cash make Happiness? Let us know in the comments below!  

No comments:

Post a Comment