Tuesday 12 July 2016

Movie Review: Cinderella (Contains Spoilers!)

Movie Review: Cinderella

I did love watching this with my daughter, and the plot was mostly true to the original Brother's Grimm fairytale.Being rated 'U' means of course the birds could not peck out the ugly step-sisters' eyes at the wedding of Cinderella, (which I have yet to see in any Cinderella movie). I would love to see a more morbid Cinderella movie, which also includes the step-mother chopping off the toes of one of her daughters, and the heel of the other as they try to squeeze into the glass slipper (apparently blood streams out of the shoe too!). But this would have to be in a Tim-Burton style movie, and denfinitely rated at least a 12!

Overall, this version of the story was enchanting and captivation - the visual effects were great and the actors portrayed the characters perfectly. I did miss the little bluebirds though, they were not really a part of the movie as much as they were in the Disney cartoon version and there were absolutely no songs. I missed the singing of the mice, especially, and would have liked to sere them making up Cinderella's dress for the Prince's party. It saddened me not to see the Prince and Cinderella riding away after their wedding in a pumpkin - like carriage at the end of the movie, but I loved how instead of vengful birds pecking their eyes out (!) the step-sisters and mother were forgiven by Cinderella. 

It is not clear to me exactly why Cinderella introduces herself as such to the Prince, as at the beginning of the movie her name is actually Ella, Cinderella being the nasty nickname her step - family call her.

No comments:

Post a Comment